Improvement of the deformation GNSS monitoring network of the Nizhne-Kansk massif underground research laboratory location

A.I. Manevich1,2, V.I. Kaftan1, I.V. Losev1,2, R.V.Shevchuk1,2

1 Geophysical Center RAS, Moscow, Russia

2 National University of Science and Technology MISIS, Moscow, Russia

Corresponding author: A.I. Manevich, e-mail: ai.manevich@yandex.ru

Abstract. The purpose of the work is the justify the development of a GNSS deformation monitoring network in the area of underground research laboratory placement, for estimation the safety of underground isolation of radioactive waste in the Nizhne-Kansk massif. The article provides an overview of the international experience of GNSS observations of the recent crustal movements in the areas of underground research laboratories location (Switzerland, Finland, Sweden). Also, the general information and main results of the research work during 2010–2020 on the Nizhne-Kansk geodynamic test area are described. In this work we present the prospects for extending the geodetic network in connection with the start of construction of the underground research laboratory. Based on the Delaunay triangulation we have analyzed the triangular finite elements of the existing and planned geodetic network. It is shown that the location of new points will significantly affect the geometry of the network. As a result, the number of close to equilateral triangles in the network will increase, which has a positive effect on increasing the accuracy of determining deformations of the earth's surface when processing geodetic measurements.

Keywords: recent crustal movements, deformation, Nizhne-Kansk massif, underground research laboratory, radioactive waste, RAW, global navigation satellite systems

About the authors

MANEVICH Alexandr Ilyich – Geophysical Center RAS. Russia, 119296, Moscow, Molodezhnaya St. 3; National University of Science and Technology MISIS. Russia, 119049, Moscow, Leninskiy prospekt 4. E-mail: ai.manevich@yandex.ru

KAFTAN Vladimir Ivanovich – Geophysical Center RAS. Russia, 119296, Moscow, Molodezhnaya St. 3. E-mail: kaftan@geod.ru

LOSEV Ilia Vladimirovich – Geophysical Center RAS. Russia, 119296, Moscow, Molodezhnaya St. 3; National University of Science and Technology MISIS. Russia, 119049, Moscow, Leninskiy prospekt 4. E-mail: i.losev@gcras.ru

SHEVCHUK Roman Vasilievich – Geophysical Center RAS. Russia, 119296, Moscow, Molodezhnaya St. 3; National University of Science and Technology MISIS. Russia, 119049, Moscow, Leninskiy prospekt 4. E-mail: shevchuk.002@mail.ru

Cite this article as: Manevich A.I., Kaftan V.I., Losev I.V., Shevchuk R.V. Improvement of the deformation GNSS monitoring network of the Nizhne-Kansk massif underground research laboratory location, Seismicheskie Pribory, 2021, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 4361. (in Russian). https://doi.org/10.21455/si2021.2-3

English translation of the article will be published in Seismic Instruments, ISSN: 0747-9239 (Print) 1934-7871 (Online), https://link.springer.com/journal/11990